2013年3月11日 星期一

Osage - If only there were no lies



A few weeks ago, we went to visit the Osage gallery in Kwun Tong. I was deeply impressed by the art work of one of the artists- Au Hoi Lam. Once I saw her art work, I would like to interview her. Her artwork makes me feel relax and comfortable as the color of her artwork are nice and plain.

The artwork shown from the photo named "If only there were no lies". It seems that it is just a desk and a chair that Miss Au works and studies on this table. Yet, when she does this art work, the fragments function was just like a puzzle game, helping her to reminisce the days that she keep telling lies.

After seeing this art work, I thought of myself. How many lies I have made? What makes me lies? Perhaps, sometimes I lie as I don't want people to worry about me. Sometimes, I lie because I don't want to be scolded. Sometimes, I lie as I don't want to show my real self. I pretend to be happy, just smile. When someone asked " Are you unhappy?" I lied " No, I am always happy" even I feel depressed and lonely.

How about you, why you lie?

3 則留言:

  1. This artwork use some warm color that make us feeling relax and comfortable. I think this artwork may be based on her own life experience to create. This shows her past living that people can taste the experience of artist. It includes many elements such as painting, wood desk and chair, box and glass so the overall view is enriched. Audiences need to spend time to watch different objects. In fact, each one is made detailed. I think those might have the specific meanings. Personally, I like both desk and chair are retro style but those are difficult to find now. If I can arrange my room again, I want to create this style which make me very comfortable.

    回覆刪除
  2. I saw this artwork in Osage and reported it in my blog also. I agree with you that this artwork made people feel relax and comfortable, as the color is so warm and the light is gentle. “If only there were no lies 11.11.2011” used one of her teacher’s strip painting and transform it into a new work of art. She cut it into many fragments and marked a special date behind the fragments.

    It is so interesting that her teacher Mr. Lui asked her to reform his artwork. This action showed that Lui trust Au very much. He won’t worry about whether his painting would be destroyed accidently. Moreover, Au cut it into pieces and marked the dates from 2000 to 2011. I guess Au wanted to recall the memories in these 11 years, and being true to herself when performing this artwork. Telling lie is uncomfortable, thus I support Au clearing the distracting thoughts in her artworks.

    回覆刪除
  3. The last visit I have been staring on this artwork too. It is unique compare to the style of the same artwork in the osage exhibition. And I agree that this is a impressing one. The artwork is filled with some English style and old Hong Kong feeling, which is having a bit nostalgia. And these style provide a relax feeling just like what you have mentioned.
    However, except this point that you have mention, I have noticed that sentence "If only there were no lies", I guess it is about some kind of romantic relationship between the artist and his valentine.( I remembered that this artist's husband is also an artist too.) From this background, we can assume this artwork should be about relationship thought of the artist. This can be proved from the other part of the artwork, like the the suitcase which typed "你仍是你" (you are still being yourself), which is hard to know by the audience, but that must have special meaning to Au Hoi Lam.

    回覆刪除